Friday 3 February 2017





In December of 1967, I went to work for a seismic company called Velocity Survey’s, I started out on a crew in Hanna with Ron Barnett. For the next three winters, I worked all over northern Alberta and the NWT.
In April of 1970, I was asked to go to Prince Patrick Island to a camp at Satellite Bay on the very north tip of the island. I spent the next three months there surveying seismic lines for British Petroleum. There were days when I asked myself what on earth have I done, with winds blowing 30 to 50 mph and temps of 60 below F, it was a tad cold.
At the end of the program, comprised two refraction profiles between Prince Patrick Island and Melville Island, and one refraction profile extending 192 km onto the ocean northwest of Brock Island.
I will never forget the day we left the island, it was June 29, 1970, and it was 25 below F and windy. We arrived at the airport downtown Edmonton at 7:00 in the evening and it was 93 F above, we all had on long underwear and hair down to our shoulders and we had a bit of a camp smell to us, people in the airport gave us a wide berth. It was an amazing experience and I met some lifelong friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 We took an amazing drive yesterday, travelling west on Highway 16, the Yellowhead, to Jasper, AB, with stops in between for business. Trave...