Tuesday 29 August 2017

Sibbald, Alberta 1920, as long as I can remember, Sibbald was always a hub of excitement. Sports days on the 24th of May weekend were always lots of fun and the weather was usually very unpredictable. It might be a beautiful sunny day or it could snow part way through a baseball game. In later years we traveled to Sibbald for disking bonspiels and the infamous Sibbald Carnival, this is a story for another day. If you look at the photo above and Sibbald today it shows how small towns that flourished during the early years slowly go backward when modern technology comes to play. I have so many fond memories of social activities in Sibbald and often travel back there just for a look and a few memories. The Sibbald AWP elevator was the last Pool elevator that I hauled grain to when we were still on the farm. I have been very fortunate to have inherited my mother's history book collection, 22 in total, hopefully, I can share some of these great articles and memories with my friends here on my blog and on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Ron!
    Old history books are awesome, I check them out from my library sometimes. I know lots are online but I like looking through an actual book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all very special to me, the collection belonged to my mother. She was the editor of the most recent Esther book called Sagebrush and Sifting Sands.

      Delete

 We took an amazing drive yesterday, travelling west on Highway 16, the Yellowhead, to Jasper, AB, with stops in between for business. Trave...